February 12, 2016

Report Abuse

Report Abuse

If you have a suspicion of abuse, your concern should be reported.
Call the Department of Children and Families
at 1-800-649-5285 — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or call your
local law enforcement agency to make a report. 
If the child is in immediate danger
CALL 911
You may remain anonymous.

Mandatory Reporting

Some people by their professions are mandated reporters. Below is a list of those professionals who are legally obligated to report suspected child abuse within 24 hours.

• Chiropractor, dentist, emergency medical personnel, licensed practical nurse, medical examiner, mental health professional, osteopath, pharmacist, physician, physician’s assistant, psychologist, registered nurse, surgeon, or any other health care provider;

• Hospital administrator, intern, or resident physician in any hospital in the state;

• School guidance counselor, librarian, principal, superintendent, teacher, or any other individual regularly employed by a school district, or contracted and paid by a school district to provide student services for five or more hours a week during the school year;

• Child care worker, police officer, probation officer, social worker, or member of the clergy;

• Residential and non-residential camp administrator, counselor, or owner; and

• Employee, contractor, or grantee of the Agency of Human Services who has contact with clients.

Tip: When you report child abuse or neglect, try to have as much information on hand as possible (e.g., the names of the child’s parents/caretakers; the child’s name, age, and location; and the nature and extent of the injuries or allegations of abuse).

To learn more about reporting suspected child abuse visit: http://dcf.vermont.gov/fsd/reporting_child_abuse

FAQ's About Reporting Abuse

Who is required to report abuse?
-Individuals who work in certain professions are considered mandated reporters. These mandated reporters are required by law to report abuse or a suspicion of abuse to the appropriate authorities. For more information on mandated reporters please see our mandated reporting section.

Who else can report?
-Any person who suspects that a child has been abused or neglected may make a report with the police or the Department of Child and Families (DCF) Division of Family Services.

How do I make a report?
-You can call the Vermont Child Protection Hotline (1-800-649-5285) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you suspect that the child is in immediate danger, call 911 or your local law enforcement agency.

What do I need to file a report?
-Try to have as much information as possible. Important information includes: the name of the child; the names of the child’s parents or caretakers; child’s date of birth, home address, school or child care facility; any and all information you have about the allegation of abuse.

What if I am not sure if what I suspect is abuse?
-If you are not sure whether or not to file a report, please call the Vermont Child Protection Hotline for advice.

What happens after I file my report?
-Your report will be reviewed in a timely fashion. The agency will determine if your report alleges abuse or neglect as defined by state law and proceed accordingly.

What happens when the report is accepted?
-Once your report is accepted an investigation will begin and the child and their family will receive the necessary support and services to improve the child’s wellbeing and to reduce any future harm to the child.

Is my report confidential?
-The Department of Children and Families and local law enforcement agencies will protect your identity as best as they can. Your identity will not be released unless you give permission or if it is absolutely necessary as part of the investigation or subsequent prosecution and can be done without compromising your safety.